Friday, September 28, 2007

Lots of pictures

Ok, so I keep promising Dave that I'll put up pictures of Granny's quilts, but I never have. I'm sorry for the delay, but Mommy is lazy about taking pictures and Granny was taking a few away to get photographed professionally. So here they are:

This first one is one of two blinds that Granny made that are hanging in her room. I don't have any good pictures of her earlier work which is mostly done by hand. This is done by machine and is very handy for blocking out snoopy neighbours since our windows are about 2 meters away from theirs and they don't bother with blinds. Of course, it's mommy and Granny's bedrooms facing their Office and dining room, so mommy and Granny are the ones inconvenienced. These are pretty, I find. They aren't identical, but I'm just showing you one to give you an idea.

None of the professional photos want to load, something about them being in the wrong format, so all of these are the "rough draft" pictures of Granny's recent quilts:

This one is a "Bargello" quilt. It now has a binding, but not in this picture. It's mommy's favourite, because it matches our room and mommy likes red. Granny made four of these for the four elements. Guess which element this is? I wasn't allowed to help choose the fabrics, which makes me sad. I was the only one in the house not consulted! I'm not allowed in the sewing room alone anymore either, because of an incident involving me and some thread. Humans. Make one mistake and they hold it over your head for the rest of eternity. Sheesh.
Pardon the quality of this picture. This is an old quilt of Granny's that hangs on the wall of the sewing room. It's hand pieced and hand quilted, so from before she had her nice Janome sewing machine and before I was born, never mind before I came to live here. She says that it's a picture of a place she used to go to near her home in New Mexico when she was a puppy. It's called the "Green place" The green is where a stream was, the only green place in the desert, the gold/brown is the sand and "mesas" (whatever those are), the purple is the distant mountains and the blue is the sky. Mommy says she remembers seeing it up on the quilt wall when she was a puppy. Granny pieced it when she was in the car, waiting to pick mommy and auntique up from the evil school-place that mommy always abandons me for. It's why she started quilting in the first place. Mommy says that she thinks that this was granny's 4th quilt.

There are more, but none that I have good pictures of and some of you dogs may get bored. But before I let you go, Mommy wants to brag about her own talents. She's not really a quilter, but she's a neurotic knitter. I try to help her by eating her wool, but she doesn't seem to appreciate my hard work. Humans, I tell you. This piece that is on her (our!) bed is what she does with the leftovers of wool that are too little for a whole project, but that she wants to do something with. She apologizes for the mess of the surrounding room.

Of course I approve anything that goes on that bed.

It'll do


Wait, why is that camera in my face?

Ok, that's enough. Take it away. Really. Humans. No shame.

Anyway, that's it for now. When I have better pictures of the cellphone case that Mommy made with my stolen fur, I'll post them. For now, enjoy the colours! Doesn't it show that my family likes colours? Even the wall of our room is bright red. With fairies on it. Golden ones. Maybe that obsession with the colour red is why mommy thinks red and auburn huskies are so cute? Not that I'm not cute enough for her. She needed a little more black and white in her life and decorating her clothes.

Til next time,
Woos,
Louka

3 comments:

The Army of Four said...

Woo, LOUKA! What fantastic quilts! Your grandma has done an EXCELLENT job! (Amber likes the pix of YOU best ... something about how cute you are and all.)
The first one looks like sun streaming through stained glass! What a great idea to use it as a blind! Storm wondered if you came up with the idea, since it's such a good one?
Oooh, the Bargello! It's "fire", right? It's sizzlin'!
I REALLY, REALLY love the one of New Mexico! Your granny's use of color is amazing! And I get such movement, and roundy sensations, and oh, it's really magnifique!
Sorry they're still holding that thread incident against you. Don't they think you've learned your lesson? Woo.
That knitted coverlet your mom made is really nice! It looks snuggly and colorful and like it would be a Sibe hair magnet! Really nice! Who could ask for more? (Other than to see that cell phone holder!!! Don't forget, please!)
Thanks for posting the great pix, Louka!
Luv,
Dave

Louka said...

Granny thanks you for your amazing comments. She says that coming from a GDFTCB like you, Dave, and a quilter like your mommy, it really means a lot. Of course I'm mainly thanking Amber because she is totally right. Stormy, alas no, it was Granny who came up with that idea all on her own,. Those blinds were made before I was born. I will not reveal whether or not my spirit was psychicly influencing her, however. Woo.

Mommy says that yes, unfortunately her nice blanket is a very good fur magnet. She tries not to let me lie on it too much, but we share a den, so of course my fur is everywhere. I'm still attempting to clone myself under her bed with my fur...

I promise, promise PROMISE I'll get good pix of the cellphone case. And I'll also put up some nice pictures of our autumn leaves to show you what's happening vegetation-wise here. We may not have pretty flowers anymore, but all the leaves are acting like that bargello.
Keep on helping your mommy with those quilts!
Woo,
Louka

The Army of Four said...

Louka: I can't wait to see the cell phone case. Both cell phone cases AND needle punching are really big now - you're on the cutting edge! Would you consider doing a tutorial on how you make it? Woo.
Luv,
Dave